How To Take Better Instagram Photos
Instagram is one of my favorite social media platforms. “A picture is worth a thousand words” has never been more applicable. Instagram makes it easy to document your life in pictures. Are yours making the grade? If not, read my tips on how to take better Instagram photos. Make your profile pop by upping your photo game!
Take Good Instagram Photos
Why, you ask, should you be taking great Instagram photos? The answer is simple: better photos will attract more followers. This is important, especially if you’re using Instagram as a key marketing tool for your business. And why not take better photos? It isn’t that hard, and doesn’t take any more time than taking a photo that’s just okay. All it takes is a little know how to take your photos from average to awesome! Here we go…
Use Your IPhone
You have the absolute best tool right at your fingertips – your iPhone. It couldn’t be easier – you have it with you at all times, making it super simple to snap pictures whenever the mood strikes. Let’s say you’re strolling through your neighborhood on your evening walk, and you see something beautiful you’d like to share with your audience. Whip out your handy tool, and take the shot. Practice the tips below until they become second nature. Over time, you’ll see your photos improve exponentially.
Tips To Take Great Photos
1. Use Natural Light: Using window light or open shade will give your photos a soft, natural look. Flash tends to make photos look harsh, and can mess with exposure. If you’re inside, use a north-facing window, instead of one that faces south or west, where the light will be too direct and glaring. Your photos will be more flattering.
2. Use Portrait Mode When Possible: This mode uses your phone’s dual cameras to make your photos look like they were shot with a DSLR camera. The subject is kept in focus with a blurred background. This places the emphasis on the subject, where it should be, instead of distracting objects in the background that don’t add to the photo. You’ll have to step back to take the shot, but your photos will be more appealing. Of course, portrait mode won’t work all the time, as many shots require a wide angle lens.
3. Use A Reflector: I carry a white styrofoam board in my car, which acts as a reflector to bounce the light and fill in shadows. This tip, alone, can turn a good photo into a great one, and it’s so simple. Anything that is white will do so use your imagination. A reflector is also great, but there’s no need to spend money if you don’t already have one.
4. Shoot In Square Mode: Instagram only supports square photos so shoot in square mode on your iPhone. You’ll avoid having to crop essential elements out of your picture when editing. Pretty simple, right?
5. Play Around With Angles: Not every photo has to be taken from eye level. Shoot down on your subject for added interest and appeal. Or crouch down low, and shoot up at your subject. Don’t use this angle for people with double chins. They’ll hate you! You can also counteract bad lighting by playing around with angles.
6. Zoom In And Out: You can get many different shots from the same subject by moving closer or further away to capture closeups and full-length shots. Don’t limit yourself by staying in one position.
7. Take Lifestyle Photos: Let’s say your selling purses. What should you do? Take a photograph of your bag with a person carrying it, or a shot of it alone on a white background? Photograph it on a person. People can then visualize how it will look on them. This is a good marketing strategy.
8. Capture Details: Get up close and personal to a child’s smile or the texture of a beautiful flower. Learn to see the details of what you’re photographing. Your pictures will be more interesting.
9. Look For Appealing Colors And Shapes: These elements make a photograph pop, and draw your viewers in.
10. Get Good at Composing: Great shots are everywhere. Pretend your eyes are the lens of a camera, and get good at composing shots before you take them. You’ll have an endless stream of material to photograph.
Instagram Picture Ideas
Now that you know how to take better pictures, what should you photograph? The answer is – anything and everything that sparks your interest. Make your pictures pop by following the tips above. Be observant, and always on the hunt for great photos. They can be found everywhere. Practice looking at things in a new way. You can train your eyes to see things you wouldn’t normally see. Cultivate awareness.
Look for photos that convey a mood – emotion always sells. See something surreal? Snap it! And cute candid photos are always winners. Document your day in all its shapes and forms. What are you eating or wearing? How do you feel today? If you’re remodeling, share your experience. Photograph your pets! There’s really no end to what you can photograph.
And lastly, photograph the ordinary, which isn’t so ordinary after all!
My Final Thoughts
See how it doesn’t take much time to turn your good photos into gorgeous ones? It’s worth the added effort, and your captivating Instagram profile will thank you!
What tips do you use to get fabulous photos? Did I leave something out? Please take the time to leave a comment below.